Sunday, January 18, 2015

Clutch Basket

Update 2/3/15
Well I did more investigation and it seems the bearing that I thought was defective wasnt. Apparently Suzuki changed the design to this in 04-05. So once I found this out I went ahead and reassembled everything. I didn't take any snaps as I was in hurry to get the thing back together. Here is a pic of me picking up the girls from school today. More to come soon!! 




Well I finally got around to doing the clutch basket yesterday. My goal was the get the job done in one day. What is the saying... The best intentions.... Or something like that. Well it didn't happen as you will see below. 

Here she is all ready to be taken apart. 

Water pump cover removed. 

Clutch cover removed exposing the clutch basket and clutch plates. 

Here I carefully removed all the clutch plates in order and placed them aside. This is critical. If the plates somehow get out of order you have to measure each plate for thickness to see what order they should go in. 

Here is the basket (drive and driven) with all the clutch plates removed. Next is to take the 30mm nut off then the basket will slide off. 

Another pic of the basket. 

Here is the clutch basket all removed and ready for the new one. Notice the clutch bearing the basket rides on? It's on the shaft that drives the clutch basket. 

Here is a picture of the new clutch basket. All ready to be mounted! 

Then....

I noticed something critical. Can you see it?
Just before mounting the new basket I took a quick look at the clutch basket bearing. Good thing I did. Notice the 2 needle bearings that are missing?

Well that dashed all hopes of completing the job... I called Rocky Mountain Cycle and ordered a new bearing, but this also means another week before I get the new part. 

So there you have it folks... All hopes dashed. Here are all the parts on the workbench.

The good news is (knock on wood) once the bearing is in things should go together pretty quickly. 

More to come....


3 comments:

  1. Great set of pics! Looks like a pretty simple job....or at least, the pics make it seem so....am assuming a bearing puller is required to take the damaged bearing off? Is it two bearings, each with a row of needle bearings or one bearing with two rows of needle bearings?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its actually just one bearing with 2 rows. It slides onto a sleeve and the clutch basket slides over the bearing. It is pretty simple. I think the hardest part really is to ensure you have the clutch plates in the order they should go. I really hope i can get the new bearing soon. Would be nice to fire the engine back up and ride the thing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update pic, glad to see Yoshie back on the road and bringing smiles to your girls.

    ReplyDelete